wallstreet patina

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Avocados - The Super food?

Let me say this.  I love love love LOVE avocados!!!!  Since my surgery, So many tastes of mine have changed.  I used to love pickles, now I don't care for them.  Bread makes me want to barf, where I used to eat half a French bread with butter before, just for instance. 

Something I have really taken to are avocados.  I love them.  I love the texture.  The taste.  The color.  The way they have their own wrapping.  The smell.  The ease you can scoop the avocado from the skin.  If I had a small bowl of chips and some guacamole, I'd be in heaven. I haven't given into that, as that would be a danger food for me, but it makes my mouth water thinking of it.  I eat half of one one day, then I'll eat the other half the next.  I cut them up and put them on everything pretty much.  I'm thinking about a scrambled egg with some or a low fat tuna salad tomorrow.  yum!  I don't buy them often, but I have two just ripening in my kitchen right now.

Fun facts (from the California Avocado Commission):

  • Avocados are a fruit
  • Avocados were once a luxury food reserved for the tables of royalty
  • The avocado is also called an Alligator Pear because of its pear-like shape and green skin
Some notable, yet not so fun facts:

  • Avocados offer nearly 20 vitamins and minerals in every serving.
  • Avocados are a good source of B vitamins, which help you fight off disease and infection. They also give you vitamins C and E, plus natural plant chemicals that may help prevent cancer.
  • Avocados are low in sugar. And they contain fiber, which helps you feel full longer.
  • Avocados are high in fat. But it's monounsaturated fat, which is a "good" fat that helps lower bad cholesterol, as long as you eat them in moderation.
Now, a single serving of avocado is 1/5 of the fruit (about 50 cal in a medium one), not the 1/2 I usually eat.  I have the extra calories to spend, however, and I choose to spend them on my favorite little Alligator Pears!  (I can think of a million worse ways to spend them too!  :P)


No comments:

Post a Comment