wallstreet patina

Sunday, August 23, 2015

New Beginnings

Monday marks a bunch of new beginnings for us.  Ethan will enter the world of high school as a freshman, Emma will enter the world of Kindergarten, and I will enter the world of a quiet house during the day.  I meet this with mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I'm seeing these two tremendous individuals open new chapters in their lives, on the other, I have to let go just a bit more. 

I like that Ethan is in the band.  They have been working together for the half time marching shows for a month now.  He has a group of people that he has bonded with to some degree, a clique, if you will.  With him having Asperger's, it worries me to no end sometimes - him being in high school and being socially awkward.  I want to go and grab him and shield him from all the mean kids, the teachers who really don't 'get him', and the uncomfortable social situations he will inevitably face.  That isn't realistic nor is it healthy for him, but I just cant help it-I'm his mom!  :)  He would be just as happy playing Xbox-not so excited about school starting.

Emma is counting down until school starts.  She is more than excited.  She is going to have the same teacher that Ethan had for his first grade class.  So we know her and I really like her-so that's great!  Emma will have no problems I'm sure.  She is eager to learn new things and make new friends!

I'm not going to be so involved with the school. I was on the PTA board for years and I was in committees even more years, then I volunteered in the classrooms-I was at the school more than I was at home during Ethan's educational career.  Which, depending on how you look at things, may be good--but I never made time for me.  This go round I am.  Lots more exercise is in store! What do I need?  What do I want to do?  I haven't honestly put myself ahead of everyone before.  That way didn't work as far as my weight and general well being was concerned.

It makes me feel a little guilty that I'm not going to be around the school as much for Emma.  There's always got to be some guilt somewhere, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment