wallstreet patina

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Let's Talk About Roombas....

So I have a love/hate relationship with Roombas.  I love those little vacuuming robots.  They work well-when they work.  I hate them when they don't work.  That's quite often.

My past with Roombas is quite sorted.  I have gone through 5 of them.  Five.  That wasn't a typo.  Not including a Scooba, but that will be another blog for another day.  For some reason or another, the battery goes out (that isn't cheap!) or some sort of dust gets somewhere into it that canned air just can't reach.

One day last October, Hubby and I were meandering through Fry's Electronics.  I spotted a lovely new improved Roomba, and just like a beaten battered wife that is still in love with her abusive husband, I went back to Roomba and brought this slave of vacuuming bliss home.  It was the newer model.  iRobot has made improvements upon their shoddy product.  Right?   I didn't have to sweep up after the birds or the cat litter box, and the downstairs (at least-ha!) was neat and tidy.  All was well.  So I thought.

Yesterday I made the mistake of saying that Roomba had lasted longer than any Roomba ever.  About 15 minutes later Roomba says (in a woman's voice) 'Error 2, please clean Roomba's brush cage.'  I clean out Roomba and off he goes.  I get the message again and then we blow it out with the air, scrub the sensors, clean out cat hair from the side.  Still get the same. 

I am now angry.  We have tile floors.  TILE!  This is no shag carpet I ask Roomba to clean.  I have short haired dogs and a cat.  I don't push the Roomba hard.  I call iRobot and the tech guy is nice, but I know he is in India.  He troubleshoots the problem and I haven't been keeping the brush cage clean enough apparently.  They are sending me new brushes and a new cage for the bottom.  I have to clean the brushes after every cleaning.  Every.  Cleaning.  What's the point?  After letting the Roomba run for an hour and then still having to clean the brushes...  I could just go in the closet and get my vacuum and NOT have to clean the brushes and my closet vac will work in the morning too!

iRobot-improve your products.  I'll keep your number on my speed dial for the next time it goes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment