wallstreet patina

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Yeah, we pop almost daily...

We go through a lot of popcorn.  Everyone in our house loves it!  Buying the microwave popcorn is very costly and I couldn't tell you what is in the junk that I feel squishing in the bag.  Having an Aspie child with food sensitivity, I think a LOT about what he eats and try to make the things he will eat without a fight as healthy as possible.  I'm also a little lazy.  I don't like to clean a popcorn popper and I like the convenience of just sticking a bag in the microwave.  In an effort to save some money and still be lazy, we have a way of popping corn that makes us all happy.

You take a paper lunch bag and a 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels.




Then you can add a tablespoon or two of olive or veggie oil, but I don't.  I just fold over the top of the bag and put it in the microwave.




After 2 minutes and 45 seconds (I have an old 700 watt microwave-so it might take yours a shorter amount of time-just listen for the pops to slow to prevent scorching) you have a lovely popped treat!




Here's the fun part...  toppings!  You can use salt, butter, garlic powder, cheese, mix some raisins or cranberries in, peanuts...anything goes.  We use Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasoning and Parkay butter spray.



The spray makes it so the salt stuff will stay on the popcorn, yet not add all the calories that a bunch of melted butter and oil would.  We also like the popcorn seasoning because it is like a powder and just works better than table salt.



6 comments:

  1. I didn't know this.....thanks. I'll give it a try. Nice web site.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the gold fish? Insatiable. I'll keep coming back to make sure that they are fed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm sure you could sprinkle with beef bouillon-not sure how good that would be. Taco seasoning maybe?

      Delete