wallstreet patina

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

They roll 'em, you cook 'em

I shopped at HEB the other day and I saw these HEB ~Ready to Cook~ flour tortillas in the refrigerated section. 



This intrigued me, as I haven't ever seen these before and more often than not around here we always have those two or three extra tortillas in the bag that never get used.  I end up sticking them in the freezer or fridge and then they get stale tasting.  When I throw them away, I just feel wasteful.  These aren't cooked yet and already refrigerated so any left in the bag is no big deal.  Score!

Upon opening the bag straight from the fridge, I ran into a problem.  The tortillas broke a bit.


I let them sit on the counter for a few minutes and breakage wasn't a problem anymore.  I continued to heat my pan over medium heat, as the instructions state.  The first one cooked pretty quick and turned out perfect!



The second one, not quite so good.  It got all burnt, yet was raw in places.  I am not sure if it was my stove (I haven't had an issue with the stove top), but I had to turn the heat down to low for the next tortillas, which turned out fine.



Taste test:  I made some cheese quesadillas with these tortillas and upon first taste I was swept back to days gone by when my friend's mother (who was Hispanic) would roll out and cook her own tortillas for us for lunch after school.  They were that good.  They were thinner and crispier and actually tasted yummy.  Not like the pre-made bagged ones you find in the bread aisle.  If you have a few extra minutes to cook these for your soft tacos, I highly recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment